Coronavirus: Leicester could be the first city to go into local lockdown has ‘second wave’ fears increase.

1139

The home secretary has confirmed that Leicester could be the first city to go into a local lockdown, over reports of a spike in COVID-19 cases.

There have been rumours that Leicester might be pushed back into tighter restrictions to stop the spread of the virus.

These have not been confirmed by the Government, although some national journalists appear to have been briefed by ministers on the possibility if infection rates locally do not start to fall.

Priti Patel, when asked on BBC One’s The Andrew Marr Show whether the city was going to see new restrictions imposed, said: “Well, that is correct.

“We have seen flare-ups across the country in recent weeks, in just the last three or four weeks in particular.”

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said on Sunday that Leicester was an area of concern and urged residents to be vigilant against the virus.

It stopped short of saying a local lockdown was likely, but The Sunday Times reported that Health Secretary Matt Hancock had been examining legal aspects of the shutdown following a rise in cases.

About 25% of Leicester’s 2,494 confirmed Covid-19 cases were reported in the two weeks before 16 June.

There have been reports that the Leicester area had 658 new cases in the two weeks to 16 June.

Public Health England, however, says there have been 50 cases reported in the city in the 10 days to 26 June, taking the total to 1,046 since the start of the pandemic, but that figure does not include the results of tests which are carried out by what PHE calls commercial partners.

Leicester City Council’s public health director said on 16 June the new cases – 658 – were “relatively small” but of concern.

Local health experts confirmed they were involved in planning the next steps in tackling the virus, with attention focussed on the North Evington area.

CONFUSED MESSAGE

Leicester South MP and shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth told the BBC’s The World This Weekend he felt there was “no suggestion” a lockdown was about to happen.

“I received a briefing from the health secretary yesterday and yes, we have a spike in infections in Leicester and yes, we have to respond to that with extra testing capacity and extra support for the local authority,” he said.

“But nobody is proposing a local lockdown in the way in which it appears to have been presented in some of the media today and me and Matt Hancock were at one with that.”

Support Labour Heartlands

Help Us Sustain Ad-Free Journalism

Sorry, I Need To Put Out the Begging Bowl

Independent Journalism Needs You

Our unwavering dedication is to provide you with unbiased news, diverse perspectives, and insightful opinions. We're on a mission to ensure that those in positions of power are held accountable for their actions, but we can't do it alone. Labour Heartlands is primarily funded by me, Paul Knaggs, and by the generous contributions of readers like you. Your donations keep us going and help us uphold the principles of independent journalism. Join us in our quest for truth, transparency, and accountability – donate today and be a part of our mission!

Like everyone else, we're facing challenges, and we need your help to stay online and continue providing crucial journalism. Every contribution, no matter how small, goes a long way in helping us thrive. By becoming one of our donors, you become a vital part of our mission to uncover the truth and uphold the values of democracy.

While we maintain our independence from political affiliations, we stand united against corruption, injustice, and the erosion of free speech, truth and democracy. We believe in the power of accurate information in a democracy, and we consider facts non-negotiable.

Your support, no matter the amount, can make a significant impact. Together, we can make a difference and continue our journey toward a more informed and just society.

Thank you for supporting Labour Heartlands

Just click the donate button below